BIOGRAPHY OF MR PHUMZILE TSHELANE
Chief Executive Officer
The South African Nuclear Energy Corporation (Necsa)
Phumzile Tshelane holds a Bachelor of Science Honours (BSc Hons) degree in Nuclear Physics and an Executive Development Programme (EDP) (WITS).
He was appointed as the chief executive officer of the South African Nuclear Energy Corporation Ltd (Necsa) with effect from 01 September 2012. Prior to his appointment, Tshelane served as acting general manager of the Eskom Nuclear New Build Division from June 2010.
He has participated in long-term national and international academic research projects, been the recipient of the Ford Foundation Research Internship in 1988, and awarded the first prize for Physics essays in 1989 and 1993.
Tshelane has held a number of key positions in other entities, namely:
- Vice-President, Nuclear Industry Association of South Africa (NIASA)
- Non-executive Director of NIASA, acting as Eskom representative. He also served in the finance committee of the NIASA board.
- Non-executive director at Necsa.
- Founder member and Steering Committee Chairperson of the South African Nuclear Human Asset and Research Programme; and
- Founder member and Chairperson of the Board of Directors of the RGM School of Excellence.
Read more here